Thermal oxidizers and economizers are game-changers in the industrial world, offering a cost-effective solution to increase efficiency, reduce energy costs, and reduce emissions entering our atmosphere. But what exactly are they, and how do they work? Let’s break it down.
What is a Thermal Oxidizer?
A thermal oxidizer is an industrial process unit used to treat waste gases generated from various industrial processes. It is designed to remove volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) from process gases before they are released into the atmosphere.
The thermal oxidizer works by heating the contaminated gases to a high temperature, typically in the range of 800-2000°F. The heat causes the VOCs and HAPs to break down into CO2 and water vapor, which are then safely released into the atmosphere. The process of breaking down the contaminants is known as thermal oxidation.
Thermal oxidizers are widely used in the chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, and automotive industries, among others, to meet environmental regulations and minimize their impact on the environment.
What is an Economizer?
An economizer is a device designed to recover waste heat from hot exhaust gases exiting a thermal oxidizer. In this way, it increases the efficiency of the unit by preheating incoming air with the recovered heat. By preheating incoming air, less fuel is required for combustion, resulting in lower operating costs and increased efficiency.
In addition to reducing fuel consumption, using an economizer also helps reduce emissions from thermal oxidizers by allowing them to operate more cleanly. This can lead to lower emissions regulations compliance costs as well as improved environmental performance.
Benefits of Pairing an Economizer and Thermal Oxidizer
The main benefit of using an economizer in a thermal oxidizer is improved efficiency and cost savings due to reduced fuel consumption. However, there are other benefits as well such as:
- Increase efficiency and sustainability by utilizing wasted heat
- Save money by recycle wasted heat back into the production process
- Improved control over process temperatures
- Better operation at higher temperatures
- Decreased maintenance requirements due to fewer moving parts
- Improved safety due to less risk of fire or explosion from higher temperatures.
- Improve reliability by providing better temperature control during startup and shutdown operations
Waste Heat Economizers from Enerquip
Economizers are a great way to increase the efficiency of your thermal oxidizer while reducing energy costs and emissions output. They provide numerous benefits including lower fuel consumption, improved temperature control, higher operational temperatures, decreased maintenance needs, improved safety features, and increased reliability during startup/shutdown operations.
Investing in an economizer for your thermal oxidizer can be a great way for engineers to save money while improving their environmental performance simultaneously.
More from the Enerquip Blog
- Industrial Waste Heat Recovery Systems: Why They’re Important and How They Can Benefit Your Facility
- Five Ways to Increase Terminal Efficiency
- How Industrial Heating Equipment Works Through Asphalt Plant Operations [Video]
- Mechanical Reasons to Choose a Serpentine Coil Heater Over a Helical Coil Heater
- Why Your Facility Needs a Waste Heat Recovery Unit